Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Gossip

Gossip is not only the spreading of false tales about someone, but it is also the idle chatter of true tales about someone’s personal and private life. Either way we look at it, gossip is sin. Isn’t it ironic how the word “gossip” has 2 s’ that imitate a hissing sound when pronounced? The word even sounds evil. Gossip is often a sin that is overlooked by many christians. As humans we tend to rate sins on a scale. We usually rate gossip as a “small” sin, but even if we feel it’s a “small” sin, all sin is a violation of God's law and separates us from God if we don’t repent and turn from our sin. There are many reasons that people gossip. Some gossip to intentionally ruin someone’s reputation, to make themselves look better, but more often just to make casual conversation. No matter what our motive is, gossip is still wrong and can be overcome only with the help of the Holy Spirit. God has recently convicted me of gossip in my own life. I find when my words are plenty that I am sending an open invitation for gossip to appear.
In Proverbs 10:8 this verse talks about “babbling.” How often I find myself babbling and carelessly choosing my words. A few questions I have started asking myself before sharing information about others is:
1. Would the person I am getting ready to talk about care if I am sharing this information?
2. What are my motives? To build up or tear down?
3. Would I say the words I am about to say if the person I am talking about was standing next to me?
I still find myself occasionally sharing information out of “babbling” and I am quick to ask God to forgive me. I find that the quicker I go to God to receive His forgiveness, the less likely I am to gossip.
Let Psalms 19:14 be your hearts prayer as it is for mine.

“ May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.”


Proverbs 11:13
A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy man keeps a secret.

Proverbs 16:28
A perverse man stirs up dissension, and a gossip separates close friends.

Proverbs 20:19
A gossip betrays a confidence; so avoid a man who talks too much.

Proverbs 26:20
Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip a quarrel dies down.

Proverbs 12:18
Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.


Proverbs 18:21:
The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.

Matthew 12:34-35
“For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him.”

James 3:5-6
“Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a very small spark.”

Ephesians 4:29
“Don’t let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs

Psalms 19:14
“ May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.”

Proverbs 10:8-10
The wise of heart will receive commandments, but a babbling fool will come to ruin. Whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but he who makes his ways crooked will be found out. Whoever winks the eye causes trouble, but a babbling fool will come to ruin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin