Sunday, January 10, 2010

Change of Name

Yesterday afternoon I was pondering over my maiden name and the reasoning behind a woman taking a man’s name when she gets married. Sadly, when some hear my last name they immediately think of the few that share the same last name as me that has lived an immoral lifestyle by committing adultery, breaking the law, etc. I live in a small town so everyone knows everyone by their name. How sad it is to pass judgment on someone for their last name by the poor choices someone else has made; but that’s human nature and shows the importance of living a life the honors the name you carry. I am not complaining about the fact that I have my husband’s last name because for me taking his name means a great deal to me. Taking my husbands name is a symbol of the covenant of marriage that I made between God, my husband and I 9 years ago on a cold January evening. The name change in marriage honors the oneness that God designed when a man and woman becomes one flesh through marriage. Taking my husbands name and entering into the covenant of marriage gives me the right to share my husband’s wealth, possessions, and property. It is amazing how symbolic the covenant of marriage is to the covenant we have with Jesus Christ!
Throughout the Bible God gives new names to numerous people including the names of Abram whom He changed to Abraham and Sarai whom He changed to Sarah. Usually a name change is part of a covenant which is a solemn, binding promise. For Abraham it was a promise from God that he would make Abram a father to many nations; although at the time he was without child. The moment we come into covenant with God by accepting Jesus as our Lord and Savior we receive a new name. Our new name becomes christian which means “follower of Christ”. How we live when we bear the name “christian” will either lead others to Christ or away from Christ. If you claim Jesus as your Lord and Savior what are you doing with your new name? Are you bringing honor or dishonor for His names sake?
Not only do we receive our new name of christian, but we are called friends of God, children of God, heirs of God, and joint heirs with Christ. With the Holy Spirit as our deposit we receive an inheritance; the promise of eternal life and an everlasting kingdom! No other name would I rather bare than the name of a follower of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin