Thursday, June 24, 2010

Whole Wheat Bread Recipe




I LOVE the smell of fresh baked bread! I think my kids do to because every time I'm baking bread they run upstairs to ask what I am cooking. I've never been very good at making bread from scratch. Most of the time the center comes out doughy or it has air pockets inside the bread, but this time I tried a new recipe and it actually turned out!! I was so happy to see a beautiful loaf of bread that was actually edible! It was actually very simple to make as well.

Here's the recipe for those of you that's interested:

Aunt Janice's Whole Wheat Bread:

1 1/4 cups warm water
1 pkg. active yeast
Dissolve together in bowl.

Add:
2 T. shortening
2 t. salt
2 T. of honey, brown sugar, or molasses. (I used honey)
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups white all-purpose flour

Use mixer on medium speed and mix all ingredients except for 1/2 of the flour.
Add other 1/2 of flour after stirring for 2 minutes. Beat in by hand and let rise for 30 minutes. Place bread mixture in greased bread pan and let rise for 40 minutes covered by a tea towel. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake 30 minutes.

The recipe actually said to bake for 45-50 minutes, but my bread would have been black if I baked it that long.
Another tip I do when I make bread is to take a teaspoon of butter and spread on top of crust as soon as I remove bread from oven. This keeps the top crust from getting hard and makes the bread look pretty. You can also just spray the top crust with cooking spray instead of using butter.




Jesus said unto them, "I am the Bread of life: He that cometh to me shall never hunger, and he that believeth on me shall never thirst." John 6:35

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to try that recipe out! Every other recipe I've tried has the same results-- too soft and full or air bubbles to make good sandwhiches for my husband's lunch. Thanks for the post and love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin