Monday, August 16, 2010

Buttermilk Waffle Recipe


This is the waffle recipe I use to make several bags of waffles to freeze ahead of time for the kid's breakfast. It's hard to believe that summer is coming to an end. My 2 oldest children begin school tomorrow. This morning I put up several waffles to make our mornings alot easier.

1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
2 T. sugar
1 t. b. powder
¼ t. salt
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk or sour milk
½ t. b. soda
½ cup vegetable oil
1 t. vanilla

Mix flour, sugar, b. powder, soda, and salt. Set aside. In a small bowl, mix lightly beaten eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture. Stir until moistened. Batter should be slightly lumpy.
Pour batter into greased waffle iron and cook until golden brown. (I like mine crispy)

To make sour milk use 1 Tablespoon lemon juice OR 1 Tablespoon white vinegar for every cup of milk. Let sit for 5 minutes before using.

This is the only recipe I use to make waffles. I like to double the recipe and freeze them. They freeze very well! To cook I put the frozen waffle in the toaster.

You can also substitute ¾ cup of the flour with whole wheat if you would like. For this recipe I think using all-purpose flour tastes the best. I also add thawed blueberries sometimes.




When you cook nutritious, tasty meals for your family, you are pointing them to the One who feeds the hungry and who satisfies thirsty souls with Himself. You’re giving them an appetite for Him.
And when you go to the time and effort to be sure that your husband and your kids have adequate clothing that fits, you are pointing them toward the One who clothes us with His righteousness.
See, every aspect of homemaking is meant to reflect some spiritual, eternal truth that we’re trying to picture to our world.
When you maintain a clean home, an orderly home, you’re creating an atmosphere where your family can appreciate the value of being spiritually clean, cleansed from sin, and of having lives that are spiritually ordered. You’re teaching; you’re training not just to be clean and orderly because that is not a supreme, ultimate eternal virtue. It’s pointing them to virtues that are supreme and eternal. As you are homemaking what you are doing is creating a taste for our ultimate home in heaven.
Nancy Leigh DeMoss

2 comments:

  1. What a blessing that you posted this..I just signed on to a link up and it's about learning 12 new things..just this morning I added to my list and one of those being learning how to make frozen meals ahead...My children will love this..as they love waffles..we buy organic frozen waffles ( which can get very expensive ) so what a fabulous alternative..I will let you know how it goes..but first I have to buy a good waffle iron : ) thankfully we have a Williams Sonoma close by..I will most deffinately be getting that this weekend..
    Have a blessed day and thank you again for sharing the idea and recipe..
    In Christ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome! I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as we do. I also need to find a good waffle iron. I borrowed one from my Grandma and need to return hers. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin