Thursday, August 19, 2010

Frugal Recipes- Liquid Fabric Softener


I LOVE the smell of Downy liquid fabric softener, but the price is really out of my budget. After researching online I found two ideas I am going to try. The first idea is...

Stretching my store bought liquid fabric softener:
Instructions: Pour the liquid fabric softener in a medium sized bowl and soak an old washcloth in it and wring out all excess softener. After you do this hang the cloth up somewhere to dry. Pour the remaining fabric softener back in the bottle. After the rag is completely dry (about 24 hours) you can then use the rag as a reusable dryer sheet. This should last between 15-20 loads. Repeat when you notice the rag not working as well.

The last idea I got over at Hillbilly Housewife

How to make your very own fabric softener.


There is no need to spend a bunch of money at the store on regular fabric softener. All you need is a bit of baking soda and vinegar. In fact, vinegar is the perfect homemade fabric softener.

Use plain white vinegar and add 1/4 cup to the final rinse of your laundry. By the time your clothes are dry the vinegar smell will be gone.

To make everything even softer, add about 2 tbsp of baking soda to your laundry when you first put it in the washer, then use the vinegar in the rinse as mentioned above.

If you are a little worried about the smell, use this simple recipe instead:

Homemade Fabric Softener
•2 cups cheap hair conditioner
•3 cups white vinegar
•6 cups warm water
Pour everything into an old fabric softener bottle or other container and mix well. If you are using a bottle, just give it a few good shakes.



After all my store bought softener is gone I plan to make my own softener using the hair conditioner! I can't wait to try this and look forward to saving money off my grocery bill.

If any of you has tried making your own fabric softener how did it go? Was it a success?

3 comments:

  1. No, I haven't tried it, but I'm with you...my store bought softener is almost gone and I'm planning on giving this a try! Really looking forward to it, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing! This is on my 12 New Things List this month!! I've used the vinegar in the downy ball a few different times. Fabic softener isn't really a problem, it's the soap itself...getting things clean and smelling good...

    I may do the conditioner recipe!
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to say that I actually tried this this morning....and it's fantastic! My clothes are drying on the line at the moment, but my husband is impressed already. Needless to say, I didn't even buy fabric softener today from the store! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin