Monday, August 9, 2010

Does Modesty Matter?



Modesty is a word we don’t hear much of anymore. We live in a society where “anything goes”. Women believe that our bodies belong to ourselves and respond with “it’s MY body, it’s MY choice, it’s MY decision how I dress!” God’s word clearly says that our bodies belong to the Lord and that we were bought at a price, therefore we need to honor God with our bodies. In Matthew 5: 14-16 God says that we are a light to the world, like a city on a hill that can’t be hidden. The way we dress sends a message to the world around us. It’s up to us what message we send. How do you want the world to see you? In 1 Timothy 2:9-10 God says that our clothing on the outside should represent godliness on the inside. Our heart’s condition can be seen in the way we dress. When we choose to dress immodestly we are being rebellious to God’s word. Not only are we being rebellious to God, but we are being a “stumbling block” to the men around us. God’s word says that whosoever looks at a woman and lusts commits adultery in his heart and sins against God. As Godly women, we are called to be “holy” which means to be set apart from the world. We are not to dress, act, talk, or look like the world. In deciding what is proper for a woman of the Lord to wear here are a few questions we can ask ourselves:

1. Would I feel comfortable with my appearance if I were in the Lord’s presence?
2. Could the way I dress cause another man to lust or be covetous?
We’re not responsible for a man’s thoughts, but we are responsible for dressing modestly so we don’t be a stumbling block to others.
3. Does the way I dress represent Jesus Christ?
4. What is my motive for the way I dress? To attract others, to get attention?
5. Does my clothing reflect Biblical values of modesty or that of the world?
As Godly women, we are called to be “holy” which means to be set apart from the world. We are not to dress, act, talk, or look like the world. Is the way you dress counter-cultural?

In closing, ask God to convict you of any immodesty in your dress and make the decision to honor the Lord with your clothing. Remember that modesty is a matter of the heart.
I would also like to recommend a great book by Nancy Leigh DeMoss titled "The Look", "Does God Really Care What I Wear?"

Proverbs 11:22
Like a gold ring in a pig’s snout is a beautiful woman without discretion.

1 Peter 3:3-4
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.


1 Corinthians 6:19-20
What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.


Matthew 5:28
But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumbling block or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. Romans 14:13

Matthew 5:14-16
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

1 Timothy 2:9-10
I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.

Proverbs 31:30
Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

8 comments:

  1. Great post! Thanks! I am going to share this on my Facebook too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Just halfway through reading this I thought the same thing that Jaime Lynn said! I'm sharing on my FB too!
    Well written and so very true. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post! New follower and also sharing on FB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!! I think I now have 4 followers! The pressures on. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your blog thru the homemaking Link Up - so glad I did. Lovely blog, and lovely post. I have 3 daughters, 9 and under, who I hope to train to dress "as if in the Lord's presence". Your post will be an inspiration for teaching. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, I just love that flower photo on this post - cosmos are my favorite, and I love how the one flower is standing out from the rest, as would a modest woman from the worldly crowd. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank-you! I hadn't realized how the flower stood out from the rest. You are right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great reminder and something we feel so passionately about.
    Here's another verse: "So if what I eat causes another believer to sin, I will never eat meat again as long as I live--for I don't want to cause another believer to stumble." 1 Corinthians 8:13
    What does that have to do with modesty...
    Knowing that men are visual and they also strive for purity, why would we wear something that may cause them to stumble with impure thoughts?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin