Sunday, August 22, 2010

Pear Honey!



Over the weekend my husband picked several buckets of pears from a generous older lady who didn't want to mess with them. For the first time my husband and I made 11 jelly jars of pear honey! We always can alot of vegetables in the summer, but I have found that canning fruit is definately my most favorite. I had never tried pear honey until today and can already tell this is going to be a new favorite of mine. We ordered a couple of pear trees to insure we have our own pears in the near future.

Pear Honey Recipe:

8 Cups (about 3 lbs) peeled, cored, and chopped pears.
1 20 ounce can crushed pineapple w/ syrup
10 cups sugar
1 T. lemon juice

Mix all ingredients in large saucepan and let come to a boil. Turn down heat to medium and let boil steadily while stirring every couple of minutes. Boil until mixture thickens for about 40 minutes. Place in hot sterilized jelly jars and seal while still hot.

Makes about 11 jelly sized jars full.

I boil water and pour over washed jelly jars and rings. This helps them seal alot faster. Let me know how it turns out if you make it. :) It tastes sooooo yummy!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! We get a lot of free pears too and I will have to try that this year! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful - think my girls would love it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin