Sunday, August 22, 2010

Priceless Treasures!





Over the weekend our family spent the afternoon going to flea markets, antique shops, and craft stores. This is probably my most FAVORITE thing to do! One of the stores brought back memories as a child when I used to go there with my mother and would always leave with an assortment of candy. My son quickly found his way to the candy just as I did as a child. One of the reasons I love going to old antique shops so much is because I never know what kind of treasures I'm going to find, and I always seem to find several. Sure enough I ended up finding some treasures to decorate my home with and I love the fact that it didn’t cost very much. One of the items that I was most happy to find was a picture of a mother and her daughter. The mother was fixing the hem on her daughter’s dress. When I looked longer at the picture I noticed the verse Proverbs 31:28 “Her children will rise up and call her blessed.” I didn’t care much for the frame, but I saw potential for this picture. When we got home I was able to remove the matting and picture from the frame. I then found an 8x10 picture frame I had laying around the house that I was able to use. I am so impressed with how this picture turned out! Some of the other treasures I found was an old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook from 1968 in mint condition, an old oak recipe box filled with old handwritten recipes, a vintage rocking chair for Ellie (she wasn’t going to let me leave the store without it), an old washboard to hang up in my laundry room, and a small picture with Psalm 23 written on it. What are some priceless treasures you have found while vintage/antique shopping or going to garage sales?


Thank-you Lord for treasures! The treasure of memories made with family over the weekend, the treasure of priceless finds for our home, but most of all for the only lasting treasure that is found by having a personal relationship with You.
Amen.

2 Corinthians 4:7
"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us."

Matthew 13:44
"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.


Luke 12:34
34For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Deuteronomy 4:29
29 But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.

3 comments:

  1. You have some lovely finds! I LOVE going to flea markets, antique shops and such! It is literally like a treasure hunt and they are filled with history : ) I recently found some vintage pyrex and corning ware casserole dishes and I too found a better homes and gardens cook book (vintage cook books are the best!). Just reading this post made me want to do some more "treasure hunting" this weekend. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I would love to link to you as a resource from my blog about becoming more like the Proverbs 31 Woman. I hope you don't mind! Check it out to make sure if you want:)
    www.steppinoutonfaith.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be great! Thank-you very much! I'm going to become a follower of your blog as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin