Thursday, February 3, 2011

Perspective on Motherhood



Much of the world would agree that being a housekeeper is acceptable as long as you are not caring for your own home; treating men with attentive devotion would also be right as long as the man is the boss in the office and not your husband; caring for children would even be deemed heroic service for which presidential awards could be given as long as the children are someone else's and not your own.
Dorothy Patterson


How very true this quote is! But honestly, how do we expect the world (non-christians) to view motherhood?


We should EXPECT women who are unaware of the truth of the gospel to be confused and misguided about their identity and calling. But what is surprising and distressing is how many Christian women have been seduced by the feminist doctrine says Carolyn Mahaney in her book Feminine Appeal.


It's so important as mothers to teach our children what God's Word says about being a woman, wife, and mother. We teach them best by being Godly examples ourselves. God's Word clearly states that women were made to be a helper to our husbands. We are also called to be keepers of the home.

What do you truly believe about motherhood? Sometimes we say we believe a certain way, but our ACTIONS show otherwise. I know this has been true in my case. There have been days that I wonder what I'm missing by not finishing my college degree, pursuing a career, and being out in the "real-world". I realize that this is the enemy and the only way to combat this way of thinking is to go straight to God's Word and remind myself of God's calling on my life. I'm not saying that it is a sin to work outside the home, but home should be where your heart is, where you spend your first and best energy. I believe it's wrong to only give your family left overs. In my case, working outside the home would be a sin because God has called me to be a full-time homemaker during this season of my life.


Each morning we have to make a choice.

We can either resent the challenges and demands that accompany motherhood and persist in our selfishness, or we can draw from God's grace and receive His help to cheerfully lay down our lives for our children. Let's choose the latter. Carolyn Mahaney

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin