Saturday, March 5, 2011

Homemade Dish Soap

For the last year I have become more serious at saving money any way I can. Over the year I have switched from storebought to homemade laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, fabric softener, and now to homemade dish soap. Instead of buying pre-packaged waffuls, pancakes, muffin mix, cookies, and snacks I have been making my own from scratch. Not only have we saved hundreds of dollars in our grocery bill, but I actually enjoy making our own food and know it is a much more healthy choice for our family. Each year we plant a garden to save money as well. I'm sure I'm not the only one noticing the sky-rocketing prices of groceries at the store. I was told by several workers that the prices are going to continue to rise over the next year. It doesn't seem that long ago where I could buy a bag of sugar for only .99 cents. For a family of 5 we usually spend around 400.00 a month including non-food items such as toilet paper, paper towels, shampoo, etc. I'm still searching for ideas on how to save money. If any of you have any great money saving tips or recipe I would love to hear from you! Listed below is the recipe for homemade dish soap. If you click on the link frugal recipes on the side of my blog it will lead you to several money saving recipes that I've tried and continue to use and love.

Homemade Dish Soap Recipe

1/4 cup soap flakes or soap shavings (any bar soap will do)

2 cups water

1 tsp lemon juice or white vinegar

Pour water and soap fakes in saucepan and slowly heat over medium heat. Stir the mixture and keep heating it until all the soap flakes melt into the water. DO NOT let the mixture come to a boil. Allow the soap mixture to cool a little while and stir in the lemon juice or vinegar. Let cool completely then pour it into an old dish soap bottle. You can also add essential oils such as lavender or orange essential oil. I usually don't add the oil if I use lemon juice.

2 comments:

  1. ooh, I will have to try this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Washing your lanudry in cool water rather than warm or hot and then line drying the clothes will save you money.

    Make your own greeting cards rather than using store bought ones.

    Use cheap conditioner instead of shaving creme. It works better anyway.

    Sew your own scarves, hats, mittens, skirts, dresses, curtains, table cloths, etc.

    Unplug electronics when you're not using them. Even though they are not on they still use a little bit of electricity just by being plugged in.

    If you're husband is the handy type, maybe he could build furniture when your current furniture is no longer functional, and you could paint it.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin