Friday, July 15, 2011

Why I Said Goodbye to Facebook.

A few weeks ago I made the decision to delete my facebook account. It was a difficult decision because I loved keeping up with family that I don't get to see very often. However, I believe it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. While writing the lesson plan for the children's Sunday School class at our church called "Putting God first", I felt the conviction that I was putting facebook above God's Book. I asked myself a couple questions that helped determine my decision-
1. What is the first thing I think about in the morning?
Is it spending time with the Lord or checking status updates, messages, and comments from facebook?
2. Why is it that I can waste an hour or two on facebook, but I can only spend 30 minutes with God?

That very next Sunday our pastor touched lightly on the subject of facebook. He made a very good point when he said that "facebook is just an imaginary world." "It's all fake." I hadn't thought of it that way, but he's right. When we read everyone elses status updates we only see their good side. Rarely do we hear about the imperfections, the struggles, the disappointments that they are going through and we ALL have them. I believe this stirs up discontent in the lives of alot of the readers and gives them a false world view. We begin to feel we are the only ones with an imperfect spouse, imperfect children, along with our own imperfections.
Life is about relationships. A relationship with Jesus, our family, our friends... REAL people. Having friendships over facebook is a poor substitute for the real thing. I believe facebook has made me less social. Instead of calling up a friend, I just send her a message on facebook. Instead of calling a friend to find out what's going on in her life, I just check her latest status updates.
In saying all of this, I'm not saying that facebook is inherently evil or I look down on everyone that has a facebook page. I've seen facebook be a great way to evangelize and share the gospel as well! I'm just sharing my own personal experience.
Since I've cancelled my facebook I've found lost time I never knew I had. Here are some of the things I've had time for:

1. More time in prayer!
2. More time in God's Word- studying scripture instead of rushing through it.
3. More time with family.
4. More time making things for my family- homemade playdoh, homemade tortillas, homemade salsa, homemade butter and tomorrow I'm learning how to make yogurt in my crockpot!
5. More JOY! Listening to the still small voice of God to cancel my facebook and being obedient has brought much joy!

What keeps you from spending time with the Lord that you can eliminate- facebook, television, sports, hobbies, an overly busy schedule?
Fix your eyes on JESUS and throw off anything that hinders your walk with the Lord!

Hebrews 12:1-2
Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin