Thursday, February 9, 2012

Are We Really Present in our Homes?

This week it occurred to me that just because we’re homemakers doesn’t always mean that we are present in our homes. Our bodies may be present, but our hearts are often absent. Is your heart present in your home? Tending, keeping, serving, loving, giving…..
With the technology explosion we have had in our present age, I find that we are investing less and less time cultivating “real” relationships with those around us. We are consumed with status updates, texting, tweeting, pinning, surfing, blogging….. I know technology definitely has it’s advantages, but what about the disadvantages? I can’t count how many times I’ve been talking to someone and they pull out their phone to check for texts. How far is to far? When families can’t even share a meal together without the cell phone? When family members communicate by texting while in the same house? When we have no trouble sitting in front of a computer screen, but can’t manage to sit down with our toddler to read a couple books? When we are unable to just sit and give our undivided attention to those we love best? I’m in no way saying technology is sin. It’s only sin when we do not practice self control and we let technology become an idol- something we put before God. When you first wake up in the morning do you think of checking your status updates on face book, checking your cell phone for new text messages, or about beginning the day with the Lord? How about a simple “thank-you Lord for the privilege of another day to serve You”. “You are so good to me God, thank-you.”
How many memories stolen, words unspoken, books unread, tea parties not enjoyed, walks not taken, have we sacrificed for technology?

All because we lack self control.

The good news is that we can repent for God’s mercy is new every morning! Pray for grace, for self-control to live life for the things that truly matter. Lets keep busy tending, keeping, serving, loving, giving in our homes and the world around us and if we have the time we might check our face book status.


Lord, this post was very convicting. It’s not enough for me to say I will do better tomorrow and not do it. Lord, it’s only by Your grace and Your Spirit that I can live a life of self-control. Self-control is a fruit of the Spirit and I can only get that by abiding in You- the Vine. Please forgive me for neglecting time in prayer and for the moments I’ve stolen from my family. Help me to redeem my time by living for things that are eternal and not the temporal. Thank-you for your mercy and for not giving me what I deserve. Help my love for you to drive me far from sin and to the foot of the cross. I love you Lord and praise You now and always. Amen.


A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-Home

Post also shared at Raising Homemakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin