Friday, September 28, 2012

Are you a Radical Follower of Jesus?


Today I just finished reading a book called “Radical” by David Platt. It is about Christians becoming radical for Christ. Most Christians, including myself, have been living a life-style of ease and comfort at the cost of lost, spiritually and physically starving souls all around us. Instead of giving to others, we gather. Instead of dying to self we live for self. The sobering truth is that each one of us is going to stand before God Almighty and will have to give an account for every resource that God has ever blessed us with- our money, our talents, our time, His grace, His mercy, His love, His only Son Jesus. While reading this book thoughts of becoming a missionary overseas crossed my mind several times, but then I realized that there are still those in my own community that I haven’t shared the gospel with such as my next door neighbor and my Grandpa who the Lord laid on my heart to talk to. Why should I even think of going across the world? There is still much work to be done right here. If I can’t witness in the United States where I would face little to no persecution for my faith, how could I think that I would witness to a people group that would be hostile to the gospel and very likely be tortured and killed for my faith? God used this book to convict my heart. I hope to be more mission minded than I have been. I feel even more of an urgency for prayer, study of God’s Word, and sharing the Gospel. We are called to make disciples. In this season of my life I am called to make disciples of my own children. This doesn’t mean that I neglect all other opportunities to share the gospel, but that my first responsibility is within my own home. God has shown me many ways our family can be involved in mission work for His Kingdom as a family. I purchased a book that was recommended by David Platt called “Operation World”. I plan to use this in our family devotions and prayer time in hopes that each one of us in our family would become more mission minded and understand the importance of sharing the Gospel with the world and praying for each people group. I’m ashamed at how narrow minded I have been over the years. I have always believed that missionaries were special Christians called out by God to share the gospel. While this is exactly true, we are ALL called out to share the gospel and be missionaries- in our home, community, another state, or on the other side of the world. If you are made perfect in His love, you will have love for the souls of others that are dying without Jesus and will spend eternity in hell. You can’t have the Spirit of Jesus living inside you and not have love. I want to look back on my life and know that I have done all I can to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I’m so thankful that someone shared Christ with me! We have to quit focusing on ourselves- our faults, our lack of ability to speak, and truly believe that God fully equips His people. Remember, it’s GOD who works in and through us. It’s not about us, but allowing God to use broken, humble, and obedient hearts so that He gets all the glory. Will you be radical for Christ or will you continue living by the world’s system of gathering, hoarding, and living a life of ease and pleasure? Will you be like Paul who says, “Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ.“ Philippians 3:8
I pray that verse will be one I live by when this world tries to tempt me with temporal possessions that have no eternal value and satan tries to get me to take the road of ease.  By God's grace I will say, "Take this world, but give me Jesus."

 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin