Sunday, February 26, 2017

Are Homeschoolers Sheltered and Unable to Cope with the Real World?



I can’t tell you how many times we’ve had others express their concern about how my children will be able to cope once they are in the “real world” and how they are concerned about them being “sheltered.” Sheltered can be defined as guarded, protected, and defended according to the Webster’s Dictionary. The opposite of sheltered would be to expose, unprotect, to harm, to danger, to attack. So when you say I am sheltering my children, you would be correct. J Isn’t that what we as christian mothers are called to do? We are told in Titus 2:5 that women are to keepers of the home. The greek translation for “keep” means “to guard“.
My answer to your question about how my children will be able to adapt to the “real” world depends on how you define what the real world even is. To me the real world is raising a family, keeping a home, being able to cook nutritious meals, practicing hospitality, reaching out to the lost and others in their time of need, being able to wisely manage money, learning how to raise and train a child, being able to do something without being told (responsibility), being able to converse with people of all age groups, and discerning between right and wrong according to God’s standards.

What the real world is NOT:
The real world is not allowing my children to participate in entertainment (movies, music, t.v. programs) that glorify acts that God calls an abomination, but to expose them as unfruitful and teach my children how to be able to discern light from darkness. We are to flee evil!

And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. Ephesians 5:11

The real world is not allowing my child to set his or her own boundaries or rules. “A child left to himself brings his mother shame.” Proverbs 29:15

The real world is not where everyone wins a prize or gets a reward just because they participated.
The real world is not sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day/180 days each year in a classroom with people the exact same age as you. If anything, this would be a hindrance to the “real” world.

But most importantly-
The real world is not even found on earth for this world is passing away.
And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. 1 John 2:17
For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one to come.
Hebrews 13:14

Just because a person is home schooled does not mean they are exempt from seeing and hearing the evil from the “real” world. It’s impossible to escape the corruption of this lost world!
My purpose in life isn’t to raise children that “fit in” with this world. I am trying with the Lord’s help to raise children who are different from the world- set apart. I want them act differently, talk differently, dress differently. I want them to glorify God! I don’t want children who grow up feeling comfortable in a lost world. If we can honestly say that we feel comfortable in this world than we probably look and act just like this world. While growing up I spent most of my years at a public school and even now as a grown adult, I still feel uncomfortable in this world! When someone tells me that I shelter my children they are accusing me of trying to keep my children from all sin and worldliness. I guess if you call “bring your children up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord” sheltering, then yes, I do try to shelter my children. As Christians we will be hated by the world. If we fit in with the “real” world than God’s Word says that we are of the world.
If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
John 15:19

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.
2 Corinthians 6:14-17

As christian mothers and fathers we must pray for wisdom in knowing how and where to educate our children and follow His will for our own family. We need to be praying for each other and each other’s children! The devil is seeking to devour our children whether they go to a christian school, home school, or public school. Let’s stop making comments and accusations that are negative against our means of education. If you are truly concerned, PRAY! My children need all the prayers they can get and pray for me as well. I am just a mom who is doing the best she can to lead her children to the Lord. I fail often and need His grace each day as I try to shelter my children and prepare them for the “real” world- the one where righteousness dwells!
Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
2 Peter 3:13




















No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin