Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Reminder of God’s Mercy and Compassion


The other night on the way to church we saw a little black lab puppy running as fast as he could, lost and afraid. My husband pulled over and we jumped out to pick it up, thinking it may belong to our neighbors, but it ran from us to hide in the ditch. I called the puppy by what I thought was his name, if he indeed belonged to our neighbors, and scooped him up in my arms. After calling our neighbors we quickly learned that this dog didn’t belong to them after all. After inspecting the dog we realized that this dog probably was abandoned because he was severely infested with fleas and ticks. We took him back to our home to feed and water him while we left for church. Later that evening I started thinking how I was once like that little puppy before coming to know the Lord.



Before coming to know the Lord I spent my time running, lost and afraid, not knowing where I was going, but hoping to end up at a place where I was loved and accepted. I too was untrusting of people, afraid of getting hurt. Instead of running to God when He called me, I was reluctant, not sure if He would really be willing to forgive me of all my sins and accept me. I spent many years running from God, but thankfully He chose to continue to pursue me. My life was infested with sin. There was nothing desirable about me that God would choose to come down to me and willingly pick me up from the miry pit and choose me for His very own. He called me by name and I felt for once that my life had value, not because of anything I had done, but because His Word said so. He took me and cleaned me, giving me a new heart that desires to love and obey Him, ridding me of all my past sins that I had been carrying. He fed me with His Word and quenched my thirsty, parched soul.

If a mere man could have such compassion for a flea and tick infested pup, than how much mercy does our Heavenly Father have on every sin-infested human being, that is created in the Image of God, purchased by the blood of Christ at Calvary when he acknowledges His need of a Savior!


“For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.”
Luke 19:10 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin