Thursday, April 19, 2018

The Silent Witness of a Smile



I’m sure we can all attest to the impact of a simple smile. On days we are in an “off” mood and someone smiles at us, we are instantly encouraged and uplifted. We also can attest to the way we feel whenever we are around people who never seem to smile and have a look of doom and gloom on their face.

God’s Word says that a happy, joyful, heart makes a cheerful face and that those who look to Him for help will be radiant with joy! I don’t know about you, but I know my face doesn’t always convey radiance of joy, but I believe that it can and it should!
The flesh likes to live according to how we feel, but feelings constantly change. We are commanded in Galatians not to live according to our flesh (emotions), but by the Spirit, the life of Christ residing in us. That means we have to choose joy!

As Christians our face should be a walking billboard of the transforming grace and power of the Lord Jesus Christ! Having a downcast countenance changes the entire atmosphere of our home and affects everyone we come in contact with. Try it and you’ll see! Make it a point to look at your children and husband and smile at them. Watch their reaction and remember the power of a smile!

What message is our face sending to the world and to those around us? Is it a message of joy and hope in the Spirit or a message of defeat, despair, and self pity?
I once heard that our countenance reflects what is going on inside of our heart and is the index of our soul. If we are harboring bitterness, un-forgiveness, un-confessed sin, ingratitude, or self pity in our hearts then it will show up on the countenance of our face.

Our countenance can be a silent witness that can eventually give us the opportunity to share verbally the power of the Gospel to change and transform lives! So smile at someone today! :)

A glad heart makes a cheerful face, but by sorrow of heart the spirit is crushed. The heart of him who has understanding seeks knowledge, but the mouths of fools feed on folly. Proverbs 15:13-14

All the days of the oppressed are wretched, but the cheerful heart has a continual feast.
Proverbs 15:15

But thou, O Lord, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.
Psalm 3:3

Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy; no shadow of shame will darken their faces. Psalm 34:5

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20

Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.
Psalm 42:11

Who is as the wise man? and who knows the interpretation of a thing? A man's wisdom makes his face to shine, and the hardness of his face is changed. Ecclesiastes 8:1

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *