Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Rest



Matthew 11:28-30
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Rest. Something the world considers as being lazy, idle, and unproductive. Most days I feel like I need to always be doing something, yet God says it is a good thing to rest. We all NEED those quiet times, those moments of peace where we can be alone with God and replenish our strength from Him. As Nancy Leigh Demoss says, "You have to drink of Him before you can pour out into others’ lives." So true! Whenever I neglect resting in the Lord I find myself snapping at my husband and kids and living my day feeling drained instead of replenished. I often feel like I am running on empty. Instead of running faster and trying harder I need find rest in Jesus and let Him be the satisfier of my thirsting soul!
Being a wife and mother of 3 is hard work! Alot of days I tell myself that I don't have time to rest. That I just have to much to do and that I have to keep going in order to get everything I need to get done, done. I continue living my day in my own strength and end up frustrated, tired, with nothing left to give to my family. I believe the reason so many mothers are overwhelmed with the daily duties of motherhood is because we don't begin our day with Jesus. We wake up and tackle the day on our own, in our own strength, but our strength will never be enough. We might spend our days being busy, but there is a difference in being busy and being fruitful. We cannot live a fruitful life apart from Christ. Only through abiding in Him can our lives produce fruit. How often we plan our own steps, goals, dreams, and how we spend our precious time. When was the last time you asked the Lord what HIS plans, dreams, and goals for your day was? I am speaking to myself as I'm writing this because I'm guilty in not seeking the Lord's will as I begin each day. I usually read my Bible at the end of the day before bed, but have realized that this is not what God wants for me. He wants me to BEGIN each day with Him. God's yoke is EASY and His burden is LIGHT! God wants us to find rest for our souls in HIM. We wont find true rest for our souls by reading a good book, having a break from the kids, getting the house in order, or by getting more sleep. Come to the only One who can give you the rest your soul yearns for!
Lord, as I begin each day help me to seek Your will and not live according to my own plans. Your word says that your yoke is easy and your burden is light. Help me to weed out the things in our family that do not produce fruit. Lead me to still waters and help others to see the reflection of Jesus living in me. Amen.

Mark 6:31
31Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest."


Psalm 127:2
2 In vain you rise early
and stay up late,
toiling for food to eat—
for he grants sleep to those he loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *