Friday, December 2, 2016

Homemade Goat Milk Formula Recipe



Today I am sharing a wonderful recipe for homemade goat milk formula that I have used for my last 2 children who were sensitive to store bought formulas that contained cow milk. Nothing compares to breast milk, but this is, in my opinion, a great 2nd option if you are unable to breastfeed for a particular reason.
I am just sharing what has worked personally for our family. This recipe might not work for you, but I encourage you to try it if your baby suffers from cow milk sensitivities and colic. This formula has saved our family hundreds of dollars through the years. It’s nice to know what is in my child’s formula and that it doesn’t contain any high fructose corn syrup. This recipe has been modified from the Mt. Capra website.

This website has a newer and the original goat milk formula recipe available for download when you enter in your email. They also have a great question and answers page for all the questions you may have about using goat milk formula.

This is the recipe I use to make our formula:

To make 1 (8-ounce) bottle:

1 Tablespoon Meyenberg Goat Milk Powder (I purchase from Amazon or Vitacost)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon organic coconut oil
2 ½ teaspoons raw, organic turbinado sugar
1/8 teaspoon unsulphured blackstrap molasses


To make 2 quarts at a time:

8 Tablespoons Meyenberg Goat Milk Powder
8 teaspoons organic coconut oil
8 teaspoons olive oil
7 Tablespoons of raw, organic turbinado sugar
1 teaspoon of unsulphured blackstrap molasses

Heat filtered water on stovetop until very warm-hot. Add the goat milk powder, olive oil, turbinado sugar, and molasses. Using a wire whisk, stir until dissolved. Equally divide the mixture between 2 32-ounce containers. (I use 2 Rubbermaid containers with lids). Add room temperature filtered water up to 32 ounces in each container and shake well. I always wait and add the coconut oil to each bottle before heating so that it is easily divided, which would be 1 teaspoon per 8 ounce bottle. You may add the coconut oil while warming on the stove, but it tends to always set up and is hard to divide among the bottles.

I also would give our babies infant vitamin drops (400 IU) each day, ¼ tsp. NutriStart Multivitamin Powder, and 1/8th-1/4th tsp. of infant probiotic powder mixed with baby food once they are old enough to take baby food.
I would add the probiotics and vitamin d drop to a tiny amount of formula in a separate bottle to make sure it was taken. If I added it to a full 8 ounce bottle and they didn’t finish it then they wouldn’t get the full benefits of the probiotics and vitamin.
I have used this formula successfully on my last two children and they have always been in the 50-80% for weight and 90% for height. Let me know if you decide to try it and how it works for your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *